Questions to Ask A Doula | Free Worksheet Download
Thinking about hiring a labor or postpartum doula?
Here's our top 15 questions to ask a doula at an interview:
1) Why and how did you become a doula?
2) What organization did you complete training & certification through? Why did you pick that organization?
3) How will you work with my healthcare provider and the hospital staff?
4) What kind of support will you provide me during my pregnancy, labor, and/or postpartum period?
5) Do you have a birth or parenting philosophy?
6) How will you work with my partner?
7) How many clients do you take on per month?
8) What happens if you have a conflict when I am in labor or have a postpartum shift scheduled? Do you have a back up or partner? Will I meet them?
9) When does your support typically begin? (For labor, when do you join me in labor? For postpartum, when do you typically do the first shift?)
10) How do you feel about ________? (Something that may be very important to your birth or parenting experience).
11) How are you different from other doulas?
12) How can you help me to have a more comfortable birth or parenting experience?
13) How will you help me and my partner with feeding our baby?
14) Do you carry liability insurance?
15) When do you go on call?
The Chicago Doulas is proud to offer doulas trained & certified through ProDoula that work in a partnership model so that you don't have to worry about a back-up doula you've never met. We take pride in our relationships with hospitals and healthcare providers. Our expertise in a variety of birthing and parenting methods helps us to best support your unique experience.